Tuesday 27 October 2015

Perpetual motion of my wheeels

Do you ever feel like this?

Sometimes I feel like I'm constantly spinning my wheels, taking one step forward, then going '...nah...' then taking a step back again. Then stepping in a different direction, only to wonder whether the grass is greener down that other way. Perpetually spinning my wheels!

Continuing the analogy, it's like my bike's stuck between gears. Any pedalling I do amounts to nothing because the effort's being expended on something offering no returns, no forward motion.

Maybe if I shift my arse a bit further back on the saddle, straighten up my posture a little, then...yup...CLUNK, I'm back into gear and moving again! That shift of perspective, taking a bit of time to step back and think 'okay, I'm thinking about this the wrong way', might well make that clunk happen.

I feel like this has just happened now, while trying to be precise about my research question. I've been getting too finicky about what exactly I'm going to evaluate and how. But I realised that after I conduct an evaluation with my target domain, it might so happen that this specific feature I want to assess might not even be worth implementing!

There's the clunk: I've got the basic direction for sure, but I can't go skipping steps or I might just end up backtracking again. If I shift gears too quickly before I even reach the hill, I'll just tire myself out.

I like this blog idea now, writing that down has helped a bit. Wheels are (hopefully) in motion again!

No comments:

Post a Comment