Tuesday 27 October 2015

VL/HCC in general

As is most likely obvious from my previous schpiel, last week I was in the wonderful city of Atlanta attending the VL/HCC conference! This brought together researchers interested in the design and evaluation of visual languages to support a variety of users in improving their programming experience.

My own contribution was presenting "Jeeves", my visual programming environment for creating mobile experience-sampling applications. If you want to read all about it (please do!) the paper is here, and a wee blog post about it is here
 
 
Enough about me for now, though. What struck me was the huge variety of visual language research currently going on. Here's me thinking that visual programming language research reached its peak in the early 90s, but it looks to be stronger than ever!

I got to meet a load of interesting people doing interesting stuff, all of whom were passionate and engaged in their visual language research. The talks were great, but when I say that the coffee breaks are the most important part of a conference, I mean that with sincerity, as that's when you really get to talk to people.

And yeah, talking about research is important and all, but the community is welcoming and friendly, so it ended up being a very social few days, too!

It was the best experience, and I hope we can all meet up again in Cambridge next year. It'd save me a long-haul flight next to a large Albanian man again, for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment